United Way Partnership
The Boys & Girls Club of Watertown provides youth, ages 4 to 18, with a tangible measure of hope. The Club offers them what they need and want most: adults who respect and listen to them, a safe environment where they can have fun and be themselves, and interesting, constructive activities that channel youthful energy into challenging pursuits.
For more than 40 years, the Boys & Girls Clubs of Watertown has been in the forefront of youth development, working with young people from disadvantaged economic, social and family circumstances. We are dedicated to ensuring that our community’s young people, who are most in need of our help have greater access to quality programs and services that help them succeed academically, live healthy lifestyles, and become leaders.
We serve over 2,500 people each year through our Main Club site, out-of-school Arrow Prep and Kidscope program and numerous outreach programs. We operate programs in seven convenient locations in the Watertown community.
As a private, nonprofit organization, the Boys & Girls Club of Watertown improves young lives as well as the communities that surround and support us. The organization relies upon private, corporate, individual and United Way funding to fill the gap between membership dues and operational expenses.
The Boys & Girls Club of Watertown is so thankful for the support received from The Watertown Area United Way. United Way does so much for our community providing funds to over 30 agencies and is a leader in the nonprofit and philanthropic community. The Watertown Area United Way goes beyond just raising funds for local nonprofits. It serves as a catalyst to encourage nonprofits to collaborate and work together to meet the needs of our community. The Watertown Area United Way ensures our Watertown area children and youth succeed.
Funds from the United Way Campaign specific support the following at the Boys & Girls Club:
1) TEENS-We provide opportunities for teens to build self-confidence, character and leadership skills through programs such as Teen Court, Career Launch, Money Matters, Image Makers, Keystone Club, and Sports Leadership Club.
2) ARTS- The arts allow youth to develop and explore their creativity through knowledge and appreciation of the visual arts, crafts, photography, performing arts and writing.
3) EDUCATION-The Club focuses on methods to promote extended learning opportunities through homework assistance, tutoring and by offering high yield learning activities. Our youth enjoy spending time in our Education Center working on computers, reading and strengthening their math and science skills.
4) SOCIAL RECREATION- Social Recreation utilizes our gamesroom to teach and reinforce social and ethical skills young people need to be successful in school and as they graduate from high school
5) FOOD SERVICE- We actively participate in the Child & Adult Care Food Program (CACFP). This program is aimed at teaching and improving healthy food choices for children providing them with nutritious, well-balanced meals and snacks. 60% of the children we serve are from low income families, it is crucial we provide quality meals and nutritious snacks.